Sunday, November 14, 2010

I think it's about time for one of us to talk about our parents. I will post about Dad this week since he posted about me last week. Here are some fond memories that I remember:

  • On any given road trip (short or long) Dad would always tell us to run into the gas station to grab a treat. This was always a special occasion for us girls!
  • Dad was and is always positive (except after a loss coaching Nathan's team). All jokes aside Dad has always been very calm with each and everyone of us despite how dumb his daughters could be at times!
  • Every Sunday I would make No-Bake cookies and the main reason I would was because I knew Dad loved them! He probably ate 5, 6, maybe 7 cookies at a time! :) I don't know what it was exactly, but just the satisfaction of pleasing Dad meant a lot to me! And Dad if you really didn't love them, then you fooled me!
  • I never worried that Dad would raise his voice or have an argument with Mom. This brought me great comfort knowing that Dad always loved us and Mom so very much!
  • Whenever we would be on the road (driving to our vacation spot) we would always stop at one of Dad's malls so Dad could check it out. I actually loved doing this because I loved to window shop! Good times...Nathan would have hated that!
  • I knew Dad worked hard so that we could have things we needed and even things we wanted as well. He sacrificed so much for me so that I didn't ever have to go without.
  • I remember one occasion when we lived in Copley, OH. Whit and I were in the middle school. She was in 8th grade and I was in 6th grade. We had our new school outfits and much to our chagrin our choice of clothes were very uncool! I mean seriously...plaid vests and over sized Christmas sweaters were pretty lame! Well, mom had just bought us new GAP jeans that were straight legged and unfortunately REALLY dorky! I felt like the biggest loser going into the 6th grade because apparently bell bottoms were back in from years ago. I REALLY wanted flare jeans so I could at least look cool being a new student and all. Whit and I confronted mom on the issue and she told us that she had already bought us new jeans and that we would have to wait to get new jeans. I remember crying in my room because it meant so much to me to not stand out...in a bad way! Whit and I told Dad about it when he got home and he immediately said we would go to the mall that night and we each could pick out the jeans of our choice. Looking back I chose some UGLY jeans but I will never forget going to school EVERYDAY in those jeans feeling a little bit more cool! Thank you Dad for understanding how important that was to me to feel cool! I will never forget that day and how grateful I was to you!
  • Even though I couldn't hit a ball or even throw a softball for that matter, Dad helped me by spending time in VA throwing the ball to me over and over again (even when he knew it was pretty pointless)! Seriously though because I wanted to learn how to play softball he helped me to become a little bit better.
  • Dad understood how important vacations were! When I suggested going to Florida for spring break he took it literally and planned such a memorable trip for our family. After that he took us every year on a fun family vacation....Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Mackinac Island...and then I graduated sadly! Good times!!
  • I am also grateful to that you have wanted me and my family to stay here in Rexburg Idaho. It definitely makes me feel loved and I appreciate all you have done to help our little family! You are a huge influence in our lives and especially in mine! Thank you for being a wonderful example of how a parent should respond to their child! I could keep going on with fond memories but to wrap this up I want to tell you....I LOVE YOU!!! and THANK YOU!!! For you and Mom are the reasons why I'm where I am today!!!
Lindsey Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment