Sunday, June 13, 2010

Hello Family!

Dad and I are going to alternate blogging assignments so you have to deal with me this week. Dad is going to talk about each child during his turn (Nathan was his first victum so the rest of you will soon follow) so I will turn elsewhere for enlightning topics and insights.
I want to share with ya'll (a little Texan flair!) my experience with family history. Ok you can all stop yawning and pay attention. I have never had much interest in doing family history work, that is for old people, no comments allowed! Before we left Ohio I had a strong feeling I was to get involved in finding ancestors to do work for. I thought Yeah Right! I will never be able to find anyone, my mom had done all she could and was at a dead end. Richie gave me a blessing when we arrived in Rexburg and I was told I was to do something with Family History every week. I excercised a little faith and enrolled in a Family History Class at BYU-Idaho. Great Class but I didn't reallly learn anything about how to research and find lost family. I then volunteered at the Family History Library and I went there once a week to be trained. What a disaster! I was a total dunce! I really was amazed at how dense I was. None of it made any sense. It was a mass of confusion! I'm sure they still tell Becky stories down there to this day. To say the least I was discouraged. I decided to do indexing and I worked on some of Brad Unsicker's names but I still felt like I had failed. Well along came New Family Search and I took a class on that and when it became available in our area I cautiously tried my hand at it. I played around with it and talked to this one lady in our ward who gave me some good advice and then I played around a little bit more and then I found a name with a blinking green temple sign( this means temple work needs to be done) I was so excited! I called up the lady in our ward and she walked me through the steps on how to print out their name to take to the temple. It was one of the happiest days of my life. Sundee then showed me a couple of tricks and I have now found a couple of hundred names. I have also been able to help others find family names. What a Joy! The experience in the temple with some of these family names has been very sacred. I have a strong testimony that we are acting as Savior's on Mount Zion when we seek out our kindred dead. How grateful they are! How blessed we are to be able to perform this work for them. So my experience retaught me that when the Lord commands just go and do it and even when it looks impossible keep pushing forward and the way will be opened for miracles to occur. Truly this was a miracle for me. I adore you all and Iam so grateful that I get to be with you all forever. You are my favorite people. Thanks for your light and inspiration.

Love Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment