Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Journey of Discipleship

I was on my way to work this morning, and I was listening to Elder Uchtdorf's conference talk, "The Way of the Disciple".

One part really resonated with me:

'It is not enough merely to speak of Jesus Christ or proclaim that we are His disciples. It is not enough to surround ourselves with symbols of our religion. Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessings of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not a primary way of worshipping.

Ours is not a secondhand religion. We cannot receive the blessings of the gospel merely by observing the good that others do. We need to get off the sidelines and practice what we preach.'

I couldn't help but wonder if I am just surrounding myself with good, religious things and then simply observing them. I think you can do this even when you are extremely busy in life (if not especially so). The distinction lies in what we are busying ourselves with.

Hands down, I need to do better in this department. Not that spectating is a bad thing, as long as we're not relying on it to quench our spiritual thirst. We need to DO, and DO often.

I love you all, we (especially the women in our household) miss you . I hope this message finds you in good spirits.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment